Name change

We kindly inform our clients that booking an appointment is necessary for our Consular Office. Appointments can be booked at the link below, or through the “Booking an appointment for consular matters” button at the Home page of our website.

A Hungarian citizen’s legal birth name is the name on his or her birth certificate, or legal married name is the name on his or her marriage certificate.

You may apply to have your legal name changed at the Consulate General of Hungary by booking an appointment through the „Booking an appointment for consular matters” link.


We would like to draw your attention to the new rules concerning name changes. As of January 1, 2021 the fee for chaning one’s name of birth consists of 2 parts; the Budapest Governmental Administrative Office fee and the Consular fee (64 CAD). The Budapest Governmental Administrative Office fee for each adult is 10 000 HUF and must be paid in Hungarian forints through your bank. The necessary information for the bank transfer is the following:

Account holder: Magyar Államkincstár

Bank account number: 10023002-00299592-00000000

IBAN: HU94 1002 3002 0029 9592 0000 0000

Swift code: MANEHUHB

Transferee: Budapest Főváros Kormányhivatala

Notice: all those seeking a birth name or married name change must have their proper name present on the money transfer receipt – even in the case of a child or one requiring a guardian -  and not the name of the one making the payment. The proof of payment transfer must be presented at the consulate when requesting the name change, along with the consular fee of 64 CAD which can be paid at the consulate by either debit or credit card.

One must have proof of payment when going to the consulate to have the name change service rendered. If you have any quesgtions or concerns, please do not hesitate to turn to consulate general.



The change of a birth family and/or given name(s) of a Hungarian citizen is subject to the approval of the Minister of Interior.  It is possible to change your birth family name or birth surname, or both family and surname at the same time.

Please note: if the request for name change is a result of an event occurring abroad, then the registration of that event has to be submitted before the name change takes effect.

This application can only be submitted in person.

If you prefer the completed name change certificate to be mailed to you, please bring a registered mail envelope or “Xpresspost” envelope, prepaid and pre-addressed to yourself.

The name change of a minor can be requested by his or her legal guardian.  A parent’s family name change also extends to a minor child.  An adult child (over the age of 18) has to request it separately.

The family name change can also extend to your spouse, if their married name was already changed to yours.

What to bring?

  1. identification card (Hungarian passport, identity card, driver’s licence)
  2. application form, filled out
  3. original Hungarian birth certificate (of the applicant, and of all persons requesting or affected by the name change, such as minor child or spouse)
  4. fee of the application  You can find the fee under “Consular fees”

Dear Clients,

we would like to draw your attention to the fact that, in view of the recent legislative change, the Canadian birth / marriage certificates has to be translated to Hungarian in the future.  The translation has to be a certified translation. A certified translation of divorce is also required.

Based on the applicable legislation, the following persons/company translations are accepted as certified translations.

S. Martin Gaudi:

Gábor Klausz:      

Laszlo Prisinger:

Zita Szilagyi:         

You can request a certified Hungarian translation from the National Office for Translation and Certification of Translations. (OFFI)

There is a possibility on the website of the OFFI to request an online offer. The link for the online offer is the following link:    Be advised that an e-translation can not be accepted.

We would like to point out that the lack of translation entails rectification of deficiencies and, ultimately, termination of the procedure.


Name change