REGISTRATION OF DIVORCE
We kindly inform our clients that an appointment is necessary for our Consular Services. Appointments can be booked through the link below, or by clicking the “Booking an appointment for consular matters” button at the Home page of our website.
Please also note that all fees are payable:
-in case of in-person application by debit/credit card only
- in case of mailed-in application by a money order payable to the "Embassy of Hungary".
We do not accept either cash or cheque.
According to the current Hungarian legislation all Hungarian citizens have to have their births, marriages, divorces and deaths officiated outside of Hungary registered in Hungary.
What kind of documents you need:
1. Documents proving your Hungarian nationality:
- A valid or a less than a year expired Hungarian passport
- Valid Hungarian ID card
- A Citizenship Certificate not older than 3 years or a Certificate of Naturalization (without expiry date).
If the applicant doesn’t have any of the above mentioned documents there is a need for a verification of the Hungarian citizenship before the divorce registration procedure.
2. Application Form
For the address part you have to use your address at the time of the divorce.
The citizenship of the non-Hungarian spouse has to be proven as well. (by for example a copy of his/her passport)
3. A foreign final Court Order which annuls your marriage. This document is issued by the Canadian Provincial Superior Court which dissolves the marriage specifying the exact date the divorce took effect. These are called “Divorce Certificates” or “Decree Absolute”
4. A copy of the Hungarian Marriage Certificate. If the marriage has not yet been registered in Hungary, both the marriage and divorce registration must be initiated simultaneously.
5. If the former spouse has Hungarian citizenship we need a copy of a document proving his/her Hungarian citizenship. (a valid or a less than a year expired Hungarian passport, a valid Hungarian ID card, or a Citizenship Certificate not older than 3 years)
6. If the former spouse was foreign citizen we need a copy of his/her passport.
Please note that you will not get your birth name back automatically. You have to separately request a name change.
This consular service has a fee. Please check the “Consular Fee” page of the Consular Services menu.