We kindly inform our clients that an appointment is necessary for our Consular Services. Appointments can be booked through the link below, or by clicking the “Booking an appointment for consular matters” button at the Home page of our website.

Please also note that all fees are payable:

-in case of in-person application by debit/credit card only

- in case of mailed-in application by a money order payable to the "Consulate General of Hungary" or "Embassy of Hungary".

We do not accept either cash or cheque.

According to the current Hungarian legislation all Hungarian citizens are obliged to register in Hungary those life events that took place abroad.

The application of “Registration of birth or marriage” can be submitted together with a passport application. In this case please book your appointment by choosing “Registration of birth/marriage/divorce + passport”.

 Both parties have to be presented at the submission of this application.


What you should bring to your appointment:

  1. Documents proving your Hungarian nationality;
  1. For the Hungarian spouse:
  • A valid or a less than a year expired Hungarian passport
  • Valid Hungarian ID card
  • A Citizenship Certificate not older than 3 years or a Certificate from the Simplified Naturalization (without expiry date).

If you don’t have any of the above mentioned documents there is a need for a verification of your Hungarian citizenship before the marriage registration procedure.

  1. The citizenship of the non-Hungarian spouse has to be proven as well. ( by for example with his/her passport)


  1. Application Form

If the Canadian marriage certificate includes the spouses’ married name you have to use that name on the form.Otherwise the Hungarian spouse can decide on their names according to the Hungarian legislation at the time of their marriage.

For the address part you have to use your address at the time of the marriage.

  1. Original Marriage Certificate

The marriage certificate must include the parties’ personal data! A marriage certificate that showing only names and place of marriage but does not include any other information (ex. place and date of birth and mother’s name) cannot be accepted!

In case of a marriage in Ontario, Canada you have to submit a so called “Long Form Marriage Certificate”.

This certificate can be obtain in person at Service Ontario or online from the following website:   

In case of a marriage in another province than Ontario please read the information on the website of our Embassy in Ottawa on the following link:

Non--Hungarian Vital Statictics Certificates

In exchange of the issuance of the new Hungarian marriage certificate the original copy of the Canadian certificate will be kept by the Hungarian authorities in an archive.

In case you are not able to obtain a new certified copy of your marriage certificate please bring the old original copy that is in your possession. In this case you have to submit this original one but you can make a request to receive it back at the end of the procedure. We have to make a certified copy of this original one and this certified copy will be kept in the Hungarian archive. Please find the fee of the certified copy under the Consular Fee menu.

There is no need for translation of a Canadian "Long Form Marriage Certificate" and  legalization is not needed either.  

Dear Clients,

we would like to draw your attention to the fact that, in view of the recent legislative change, the Canadian birth / marriage certificates has to be translated to Hungarian in the future.  The translation has to be a certified translation. A certified translation of divorce is also required.

Based on the relevant legislation, translations made by the following persons/companies, in addition to consular translations, can be accepted as authentic translations.

S. Martin Gaudi:

Gábor Klausz:      

Zita Szilagyi:         

You can request a certified Hungarian translation from the National Office for Translation and Certification of Translations. (OFFI)

There is a possibility on the website of the OFFI to request an online offer. The link for the online offer is the following link:    Be advised that an e-translation can not be accepted.

We would like to point out that the lack of translation entails rectification of deficiencies and, ultimately, termination of the procedure.

In case of previous marriage:

If the marriage of one or both spouses was annulled:

  • By a Hungarian Court, you need the final court decree or a marriage certificate which shows in its remarks that that particular marriage was annulled. (Copies are also acceptable)
  • By a foreign court:
  1. If the divorce from the previous marriage of a Hungarian citizen has not yet been registered, it has to be done simultaneously by filling out the following form and attaching the requiest documents.

Form for divorce registration

  1. If the previously divorced spouse is NOT Hungarian citizen, there is no need to submit  the foreign court decree of the divorce, or its translation. Although there is a possibility that the Hungarian Registrar Authorities will ask for them later during the procedure.
  • By the death of the former spouse which has been registered in Hungary, you have to submit a copy of the Hungarian death certificate.


  • By the death of the former spouse abroad which has not been registered in Hungary:
  1. if the deceased spouse was Hungarian citizen you have to register his/her death in Hungary by filling out the following form and attaching the requested documents:

          Form for death registration

  1. if the deceased spouse was not Hungarian citizen you have to submit the foreign death certificate with an official translation.


  1. Form for Registration in the Hungarian Registry (If you haven’t been registered)


As part of the marriage registration you can register yourself in the Hungarian personal data and address registry either as a Hungarian citizen living in Hungary or as a Hungarian citizen living abroad.



Form for marriage registration