Simplified Hungarian Naturalization
Amendment of Act LV of 1993 on Hungarian Citizenship
Under Article 6(3) of the Hungarian Constitution, “The Republic of Hungary bears a sense of responsibility for the fate of Hungarians living outside its borders and shall promote and foster their relations with Hungary.”
On 26 May 2010 the Hungarian National Assembly approved with an overwhelming majority the amendment of Act LV of 1993 on Hungarian citizenship and introduced a simplified naturalization procedure.
Every non-Hungarian citizen is eligible for preferential naturalization if:
- option 1
– he or she or any of their ancestors was a Hungarian citizen or if he or she serves reason to believe his or her origin is from Hungary,
– he or she proves their knowledge of the Hungarian language, has no criminal record and is not under prosecution, and naturalization does not violate the public and national security of Hungary.
- option 2
- or your spouse is Hungarian citizen and you have been married for at least 10 years;
- or you have been married for at least 5 years and have a common child
- You prove your knowledge of the Hungarian language, have no criminal record and are not under prosecution, and naturalization does not violate the public and national security of Hungary.