REGISTRATION OF BIRTH
We kindly inform our clients that an appointment is necessary for our Consular Services. Appointments can be booked through the link below, or by clicking the “Booking an appointment for consular matters” button at the Home page of our website.
Please also note that all fees are payable:
-in case of in-person application by debit/credit card only
- in case of mailed-in application by a money order payable to the "Consulate General of Hungary" or "Embassy of Hungary".
We do not accept either cash or cheque.
In order to apply for a Hungarian Passport, the birth any Hungarian citizens which took place abroad has to be registered in Hungary.
The passport application may be submitted together with the application of “Registration of birth”. In this case please book your appointment by choosing “Registration of birth/marriage/divorce + passport”.
What you should bring to your appointment?
1. Documents proving your Hungarian nationality:
- A valid or a less than a year expired Hungarian passport
- Valid Hungarian ID card
- A Citizenship Certificate not older than 3 years or a Certificate from the Simplified Naturalization
If you don’t have any of the above mentioned documents there is a need for a verification of your Hungarian citizenship before the birth registration procedure. This request for Verification of your Citizenship can be submitted at the same time as the birth registration request.
The citizenship of a non-Hungarian parent has to be proven as well. ( by for example a copy of his/her passport).
2. Application Form
3. Form for Registration in the Hungarian Registry
As part of birth registration you have to choose to register your child in the Hungarian personal data and address registry either with a Hungarian address or with a Canadian address. IMPORTANT! In case the parents still registered at a Hungarian address the minor HAS to be registered at that Hungarian address. If the parents are registered at a Canadian address the minor has to be registered as living abroad at the same address as the parents.
4.Original Birth Certificate of the person to be registered
In case of birth in Ontario, Canada – you have to submit a so called “Long Form Birth Certificate”, the official name of this document is “Certified Copy of Statement of Live Birth”.
This certificate can be obtain in person at Service Ontario or electronically from the following website: www.servicecanada.gc.ca
In case of birth in Manitoba – you have to submit a “Manitoba Birth Certificate”
In case of birth in Saskatchewan – you have to submit a “Registration of Live Birth”
There is no need for translation or super-legalization for the Canadian birth certificates.
In exchange of the issuance of the new Hungarian birth certificate the original Canadian birth certificate will be kept by the Hungarian authorities in an archive.
In case you are not able to obtain a new certified copy of your birth certificate please bring the old original copy that is in your possession. In this case you have to submit this original one but you can make a request to receive it back at the end of the procedure. We have to make a certified copy of this original one and this certified copy will be kept in the Hungarian archive. Please find the fee of the certified copy under the "Consular Fee" menu.
5. Marriage Certificate of the parents
- A copy of the Hungarian Marriage Certificate of the parents if they were married in Hungary.
2. A copy of the Hungarian Marriage Certificate of the parents if they were married abroad but the marriage has been registered in Hungary
3. If the parents were married abroad and the marriage has not yet been registered in Hungary, they shall have it registered simultaneously with the birth registration. The details of this procedure can be found in the following link:
4. If the parents are not married the father has to acknowledge his paternity. The details of this procedure can be found in the following link:
Please note that this application is to be done in person only.
5. If the parents are not married and the registration is NOT based on an acknowledgement of paternity of the father the registration will be based on the adequate "Court Order". The father will be determined by this Canadian Court Order.
ATTENTION! The translation of this Court Order is necessary!
- A Hungarian citizen can have maximum 2 last names. If the person to be registered has more than 2 last names in the Canadian certificate the parents have to agree and declare officially in writing which 2 last names should be registered in Hungary.
- If the foreign (Canadian) birth certificate shows only a county as the place of birth the parents have to mutually declare in writing the name of the city or town as a place of birth.
- The parents of a Hungarian citizen born abroad can mutually agree and request in writing the registration of their child’s name according to the original Canadian certificate or according to the Hungarian writing.
The Registration of Birth service is free of charge.