Statement on the Acquisition of Citizenship

We kindly inform our clients that booking an appointment is necessary for our Consular Office. Appointments can be booked at the link below, or through the “Booking an appointment for consular matters” button at the Home page of our website.

Please also note that all fees are payable:

-in case of in-person application by debit/credit card only

- in case of mailed-in application by a money order payable to the "Embassy of Hungary".

We do not accept either cash or cheque.

When can I acquire or reacquire Hungarian citizenship by a statement?

Hungarian citizenship may be reacquired regardless of your place of residence if your Hungarian citizenship was lost for any of the following reasons:

1. You were deprived of your Hungarian citizenship by virtue of Act X of 1947 and Act XXVI of 1948, of Act LX of 1948 on Hungarian Citizenship or of Act V of 1957 on Citizenship;

2. Your Hungarian citizenship ceased by expatriation between September 15, 1947 and May 2, 1990;

3. You were a person obliged to resettle in Germany.

You can acquire Hungarian citizenship regardless of your place of residence by a statement if you were born to a Hungarian citizen mother and a foreign father before October 1, 1957, and you did not acquire Hungarian citizenship by birth by virtue of the legislation in force at the time of your birth.

If you are a stateless person, you can acquire Hungarian citizenship if you were born in Hungary to foreign parents, and you did not acquire your parents' citizenship, on the condition that your parents were residing in Hungary at the time of birth. The statement may be made before the age of 19, if you have been residing in Hungary for at least 5 years before. If you are a stateless person but do not fulfill these conditions, you may apply for naturalization.

Request for submission:

Citizenship applications may only be submitted in person and a preliminary appointment booking is required. 

The application of a minor who is at least 14 years of age has to be signed by both the minor and his or her parent, therefore both have to be present in person. Parents act on behalf of younger children, therefore the child's presence is not necessary.

What kind of documents to bring with you?

1. Birth certificate

2. Document of marital status (marriage certificate, if the bride's or the groom's family status at the time of the marriage was divorced or widow, submit the Hungarian-issued or foreign marriage or death certificate or court decree

3. The birth certificate and the evidence of the marital status must be original document. Foreign language documents shall be enclosed with a certified Hungarian translation and unless otherwise provided for the international agreement, with diplomatic over-verification.

4. In case of expatriation, an original expatriation certificate ("elbocsátási okirat")

5. Documents that prove your stateless status

6. For persons born to a Hungarian citizen mother and a foreign father before October 1, 1957, the parents' marriage certificate.

7. The application must be accompanied by the form required for the registration of foreign birth, marriage or divorce. If the applicant would like to be domiciled in Hungary, the form also required.

Required Forms:

Statement (reacquisition of lost citizenship)

Statement (for persons born before October 1, 1957)

Statement (for stateless persons)